Leveraging NEB’s expertise in enzyme and extraction technologies, we offer a unique selection of products that are convenient, easy-to-use, and provide improved performance for sample preparation upstream of nanopore sequencing; these solutions have been optimized for and tailored to this application.
- Extract high-quality, intact DNA quickly and easily with Monarch® Kits
- Maximize convenience of library prep with the NEBNext® Companion Module
- ARTIC kits for SARS-CoV-2 sequencing on the Oxford Nanopore Technologies® platform
- LamPORE Assay for COVID-19 support
- Additional products to support Nanopore sequencing
Extract high-quality, intact DNA quickly and easily with Monarch Kits
NEB offers two approaches for best-in-class genomic DNA extraction. Our standard Monarch Genomic DNA Purification Kit is a silica spin column-based approach enabling isolation of highly pure and highly-intact genomic DNA from various sample types, with peak DNA sizes >50 kb. Our Monarch HMW DNA Extraction Kits use a novel glass bead-based approach to isolate high molecular weight DNA (HMW DNA) from various samples with industry-leading speed and purity. Both methods can extract high-quality input DNA for use in Oxford Nanopore Technologies sequencing and other long-read applications, but the latter enables isolation of DNA from 50 kb up to several megabases in size for techniques that benefit from ultra-high molecular weight DNA (UHMW DNA).
Monarch Genomic DNA Purification Kit (NEB #T3010)
- Isolate genomic DNA with peak fragment size >50 kb
- Highly intact DNA with industry-leading yields and purity
- Validated on numerous sample types
|See performance data and learn more|
Check out this comprehensive guide to measuring and analyzing nucleic acids after purification
|Technical Note: A Practical Guide to Analyzing Nucleic Acid Concentration and Purity with Microvolume Spectrophotometers|
Monarch HMW DNA Extraction Kits (for Cell & Blood: NEB #T3050, for Tissue and Other Samples: NEB #T3060)
- Fast and user friendly workflows that get you from sample to sequencing in the same day
- Quicker workflows enable efficient troubleshooting of downstream sequencing when needed
- Ultra high molecular weight DNA (UHMW DNA) can be obtained from cells, blood, soft organ tissues and bacteria
- DNA fragment size is tunable based on agitation during lysis, enabling flexibility and optimization for sequencing needs
- Purified DNA is easy to dissolve and usually ready for sequencing shortly after extraction
|See performance data and learn more|
Check out our publication in Biotechniques, outlining a simple approach to accurate quantitation of UHMW DNA:
|A simple approach for effective shearing and reliable concentration measurement of ultra high molecular weight DNA|
See how the Monarch HMW DNA Kits used upstream on Cas9 targeted nanopore sequencing significantly reduced workflow time:
|Technical Note: A faster workflow for the assessment of genomic loci in mice using a novel HMW DNA extraction technology upstream of Cas9 targeted sequencing|
|Webinar: Fast and Efficient Extraction of High Molecular Weight DNA|
|NEB blog: High Molecular Weight (HMW) DNA Extraction – minimizing a bottleneck for emerging long read sequencing applications|
The NEBNext DNA repair, end repair and ligation reagents recommended in ligation library preparation are now available in the same product, the NEBNext Companion Module for Oxford Nanopore Technologies® Ligation Sequencing (NEB #E7180), at volumes designed for use in several protocols alongside Oxford Nanopore Technologies SQK-LSK109 and SQK-LSK110.
- Component volumes tailored for use with many SQK-LSK109 and SQK-LSK110 workflows
- Simplified ordering and inventory management
- Compatible with all devices: MinION®, GridION®, PromethION™, Flongle®
- No more waste – no unnecessary buffers or excess
|See performance data and learn more|
The NEBNext ARTIC kits were developed based on the original work of the ARTIC Network(1) on their multiplexed amplicon-based whole- viral-genome sequencing approach. The kits include primers and reagents for cDNA synthesis and targeted amplification from SARS- CoV-2 gRNA as well as downstream library preparation. The balanced ARTIC V3 primers and optimized reagents for RT-PCR deliver improved uniformity of amplicon yields from gRNA across a wide copy number range. The NEBNext ARTIC SARS-CoV-2 Companion Kit (Oxford Nanopore Technologies) (NEB #E7660) is used alongside kits from ONT to generate libraries with inserts in the 400 bp range. These can be sequenced on any ONT instrument, in 2–24 hour run times.
- Streamlined, high-efficiency protocol
- Effective with a wide range of viral genome inputs (10– 10,000 copies)
- Improved uniformity of SARS-CoV-2 genome coverage depth with a more balanced V3 primer pool
- Library inserts in the 400 bp range
- Includes NEBNext Sample Purification Beads (SPRIselect®)
Learn more about the ARTIC network and their efforts to understand the genomics of viral outbreaks:
|Interview with Joshua Quick, UKRI Future Leaders Fellow, University of Birmingham|
|Webinar: Improving Genome Coverage in SARS-CoV-2 Sequencing (Brad Langhorst and Kalyinnette Pinet, New England Biolabs)|
|Supporting COVID-19 sequencing at NEB|
1. Josh Quick 2020. nCoV-2019 sequencing protocol v2 (GunIt), protocols.io.
The WarmStart® LAMP Kit (DNA & RNA) (NEB #E1700) has been incorporated into Oxford Nanopore’s LamPORE technology, a combination of Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification (LAMP) with nanopore sequencing, implemented to provide a rapid, low-cost and scalable assay for the detection of SARS-CoV-2. The WarmStart LAMP Kit (DNA & RNA) offers the following benefits:
- A simple, one-step solution for LAMP of DNA or RNA (RT- LAMP) targets
- Compatible with multiple detection methods including fluorescence or turbidity
- WarmStart technology inhibits activity at room temperature
|Preprint: LamPORE: rapid, accurate and highly scalable molecular screening for SARS-CoV-2 infection, based on nanopore sequencing|
|Feature article: Using aptamers to control enzyme activities: Hot Start Taq and beyond
Additional products to support nanopore sequencing
The following are some examples of other NEB reagents that are commonly used in nanopore sequencing wokflows:
- NEBNext Ultra II End Repair / dA-Tailing Module (NEB #E7546)
- NEBNext Ultra II Ligation Module (NEB #E7595)
- Q5® Hot Start High-Fidelity 2X Master Mix (NEB #M0494)
- LongAmp® Taq DNA Polymerase (NEB #M0323)
- T4 DNA Ligase (NEB #M0202)
- NEBNext Quick Ligation Module (NEB #E6056)
- Blunt T/A Ligase Master Mix (NEB #M0367)
- NEBNext FFPE DNA Repair Mix (NEB #M6630)
- LunaScript® RT SuperMix Kit (NEB #E3010)
One or more of these products are covered by patents, trademarks and/or copyrights owned or controlled by New England Biolabs, Inc. For more information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The use of these products may require you to obtain additional third party intellectual property rights for certain applications.
Overview of High Molecular Weight DNA Extraction using the Monarch® HMW DNA Extraction Kit for Cells & Blood
Visualize how HMW DNA is extracted from cells and blood with the Monarch HMW DNA Extraction Kit for Cells & Blood (NEB #T3050).
In this webinar, the developer of Monarch HMW DNA Extraction Kits introduces the technology, the workflow and subsequent long read sequencing data.
In this video, we walk through the protocol for extraction of high molecular weight DNA (HMW DNA) from cultured cells.
In this video, we walk through the protocol for extraction of high molecular weight DNA (HMW DNA) from tissues.
In this video, we share some important tips for successfully extracting high molecular weight DNA (HMW) from blood samples.
Did you know that this isothermal amplification method can be performed in as little as 5-10 minutes with limited resources? Get a quick overview on how LAMP works in this animation.
Hear how loop-mediated isothermal amplification from New England Biolabs is being used to develop COVID-19 detection methods and diagnostics.