RNA can be detected, quantified and manipulated through copying via the use of reverse transcriptases (RTs), which are RNA-dependent DNA polymerases. RTs synthesize a strand of DNA that is complementary to the original RNA template and is referred to as cDNA. This cDNA can then be further amplified through PCR, qPCR, or isothermally using, for example, one-step RT-LAMP. Alternately, the cDNA can be used in library preparation for next generation sequencing.
New England Biolabs provides a broad variety of reverse transcriptases and kits for use in these experiments. In addition to stand alone enzymes such as ProtoScript II, NEB provides a number of optimized kits for RT-qPCR, RT-PCR, RNA Seq and isothermal RNA detection.
FAQs for RT-qPCR, RT-PCR and cDNA Synthesis
Protocols for RT-qPCR, RT-PCR and cDNA Synthesis
- cDNA synthesis in oligo (dT)25 magnetic beads (S1419)
- First Strand cDNA Synthesis (Standard Protocol) (NEB #M0277)
- First Strand cDNA Synthesis (No-RT Negative Control Reaction) (NEB #M0277)
- First Strand cDNA Synthesis (No-RT Negative Control Reaction) (NEB #M0253)
- First Strand cDNA Synthesis (No-RT Negative Control Reaction) (NEB #M0368)
- First Strand cDNA Synthesis (Quick Protocol) (NEB #M0253)
- First Strand cDNA Synthesis (Quick Protocol) (NEB #M0277)
- First Strand cDNA Synthesis (Quick Protocol) (NEB #M0368)
- First Strand cDNA Synthesis (Standard Protocol) (NEB #M0253)
- First Strand cDNA Synthesis (Standard Protocol) (NEB #M0368)
- First strand cDNA synthesis OneTaq® RT-PCR Kit
- First Strand cDNA Synthesis Protocols (E6300)
- First Strand cDNA Synthesis Protocols (E6560)
- Isolation of mRNA Using the PolyA Spin™ mRNA Isolation Kit
- One-Step RT-PCR Protocols (E5315)
- PCR Amplification with OneTaq® RT-PCR Kit
- Protocol for Avoiding Rnase Contamination using Murine Rnase Inhibitor (M0314)
- Protocol for Avoiding Rnase Contamination using Rnase Inhibitor, Human Placenta (M0307)
- Typical cDNA Synthesis Protocol
- Typical RT-LAMP Protocol
Latest NEB Expressions
This edition of NEB expressions focuses on tools that can streamline your RNA-related workflows. Featured products include NEBNext Ultra II kits for RNA, the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit, Luna reagents for RT-qPCR, the new LunaScript RT SuperMix Kit and HiScribe kits for high yield, high quality RNA synthesis. Learn more about functional considerations for RNA synthesis in our feature, and learn about a new protocol for Cappable Seq. Lastly, read about ways you can promote sustainable science in the lab.
Luna Universal qPCR And RT-qPCR
Make a simpler choice with Luna! Learn about the advantages of choosing Luna products for your qPCR & RT-qPCR, and see how Luna products compare to other commercially available reagents.
The PCR brochure provides product information on the wide range of DNA polymerases available from NEB, including tools for selection and troubleshooting tips.
- Avoiding Ribonuclease Contamination
Other Tools & Resources
cDNA Synthesis Selection Chart
While NEB develops and validates its products for various applications, the use of this product may require the buyer to obtain additional third party intellectual property rights for certain applications.
For more information about commercial rights, please contact NEB's Global Business Development team at email@example.com.
This product is intended for research purposes only. This product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.
Learn how we analyzed plates and plates of qPCR data, and how Luna stacks up to the competition.