As the COVID-19 virus continues to impact our communities, we understand there may be concerns regarding your ability to order and receive important research reagents. New England Biolabs is working diligently to ensure we keep our employees and their families safe, while maintaining our business continuity in support of our many customers around the globe. Our manufacturing and distribution teams continue to be fully operational, and we are working closely with our suppliers and distribution partners to ensure uninterrupted access to our products and technical support. We are also following the guidelines of local and national health organizations in order to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
NEB’s products are available for research purposes only. However, we are already supplying and supporting customers who are working diligently to develop better diagnostic tools and vaccines for the COVID-19 virus, and are ready to supply additional customers with the reagents they need to validate and develop them as diagnostic tools for lab-based or point-of-care settings.
Select an application to learn more:
RNA ExtractionExtraction of RNA is often the first step in viral detection assays and has become an increasingly important laboratory technique in the midst of this global pandemic. Though NEB does not offer a kit specifically designed for viral RNA extraction, the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit has been successfully used to extract RNA from various samples including saliva, buccal swabs, and simulated nasopharyngeal samples.
Monarch® Total RNA Miniprep Kit (NEB #T2010)
This comprehensive kit include reagents for extracting RNA from a wide variety of sample types with a fast and user-friendly workflow.
- Quickly and easily purify up to 100 µg of high quality total RNA (>20 nt)
- Purified RNA is suitable for downstream reactions, such as RT-qPCR and library prep for next gen sequencing
- Elute in as little as 30 µl (RNA samples can be further concentrated following purification using our Monarch RNA Cleanup columns or kits)
|Protocol for Total RNA Purification from Saliva, Buccal Swabs and Nasopharyngeal Samples
WarmStart® Colorimetric LAMP 2X Master Mix (DNA & RNA) (NEB #M1800)
WarmStart Colorimetric LAMP 2X Master Mix is an optimized formulation of Bst 2.0 WarmStart DNA Polymerase and WarmStart RTx in a special low-buffer reaction solution.The mix contains a visible pH indicator for rapid and easy detection of Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification (LAMP) and RT-LAMP reactions.
- Easily detect amplification with a simple pink-to-yellow color change
- Set up reactions at room temperature, as WarmStart feature inhibits activity at 25°C
- Compatible with carryover prevention
WarmStart LAMP Kit (DNA & RNA) (NEB# E1700)
The WarmStart LAMP Kit contains a blend of Bst 2.0 WarmStart DNA Polymerase and WarmStart RTx for optimal LAMP and RT-LAMP performance. It is compatible with multiple detection methods, including real-time fluorescence detection (when used with included LAMP fluorescent dye), turbidity, and end-point visualization.
- Real-time fluorescence detection supports high-throughput testing workflows
- WarmStart technology enables room temperature setup
- Compatible with carryover prevention
|Citations and protocols featuring LAMP kits
Luna® RT-qPCR Kits
Luna Universal One-Step RT-qPCR kits offer exceptional sensitivity, reproducibility and RT-qPCR performance. Available for probe- or dye-based detection, Luna kits utilize a novel, thermostable WarmStart RT, which increases reaction specificity. Reaction mixes also contain dUTP, which supports carryover prevention.
Relevant Luna products include:
- Luna Universal Probe One-Step RT-qPCR Kit (NEB #E3006)
- Luna Probe One-Step RT-qPCR Kit (No ROX) (NEB #E3007)
- Luna Universal One-Step RT-qPCR Kit (NEB #E3005)
- Luna Cell Ready Lysis Module (NEB #E3032)
Products for Oxford Nanopore Technologies® Sequencing
The following reagents are being recommended in a number of third party COVID-19 sequencing protocols, including “PCR tiling of COVID-19 virus” in Oxford Nanopore Technologies’ Nanopore Community, and the ARTIC protocol.
- Q5® Hot Start High-Fidelity 2X Master Mix (NEB #M0494)
- Random Primer Mix (NEB #S1330S)
- Deoxynucleotide (dNTP) Solution Mix (NEB #N0447)
- NEBNext® Ultra™ II End Repair / dA-Tailing Module (NEB #E7546)
- NEBNext Ultra II Ligation Module (NEB #E7595)
- NEBNext Quick Ligation Module (NEB #E6056)
|More information on these and other protocols|
Products for Illumina® Sequencing
A number of methods are being developed using the Illumina platform for virus, metagenomic and host sequencing, as well as diagnostics. These include ARTIC-based virus enrichment protocols and novel workflows.
- NEBNext Ultra II RNA Library Prep Kit for Illumina (NEB #E7770)
- NEBNext Ultra II Directional RNA Library Prep Kit for Illumina (NEB #E7760)
- NEBNext Ultra II DNA Library Prep Kit for Illumina (NEB #E7645)
- NEBNext Ultra II RNA First Strand Synthesis Module (NEB #E7771)
- NEBNext Ultra II Non-Directional RNA Second Strand Synthesis Module (NEB #E6111)
- NEBNext rRNA Depletion Kit v2 (Human/Mouse/Rat) (NEB #E7400)
- LunaScript RT SuperMix Kit (NEB #E3010)
|Additional citations featuring NEBNext products
Reagents for mRNA synthesis
NEB’s portfolio of research-grade and GMP-grade* reagents enables bench-scale to commercial-scale mRNA manufacturing, enabling a seamless transition to large-scale therapeutic mRNA manufacturing.
|Learn more about our GMP-grade in vitro transcription reagents
Product Citation Tool
View citations that utilize NEB products using the Product Citation Tool. Refine your search by updating search field and then selecting a filter type. For your convenience, COVID-19 has been selected as a filter on this page.
"GMP-grade" is a branding term NEB uses to describe reagents manufactured at NEB’s Rowley facility. The Rowley facility was designed to manufacture reagents under more
rigorous infrastructure and process controls to achieve more stringent product specifications and customer requirements. Reagents manufactured at NEB’s Rowley facility are
manufactured in compliance with ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 quality management system standards. However, at this time, NEB does not manufacture or sell products known as
Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs), nor does NEB manufacture its products in compliance with all of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulations.
One or more of these products are covered by patents, trademarks and/or copyrights owned or controlled by New England Biolabs, Inc. For more information, please email us at [email protected]. The use of these products may require you to obtain additional third party intellectual property rights for certain applications.
Welcome to the COVID-19 researcher spotlight
Hear from scientists around the world as they discuss publications related to COVID-19, new protocols and techniques for detection and characterization, as well as how the scientific community is coming together to address this pandemic...all in 19 minutes or less!
In this episode of the NEB podcast, Lessons from Lab and Life, hear from Brian Rabe of Harvard Medical School about his work applying RT-LAMP to develop a fast SARS-CoV-2 diagnostic assay.Listen to Podcast
Doing COVID-19 related research?
Let us know what you are working on, so we can keep you informed on new COVID-19 related products and publications available from NEB.Stay Informed