FAQ: Can DNA be blunted using Exonuclease VIII, truncated?

No. Use DNA Polymerase I, Large (Klenow) Fragment (NEB #M0210) to fill in 5´ overhangs (also called 3´ recessed ends) and chew back 3´ overhangs or use Mung Bean Nuclease (NEB #M0250) to chew back 3´ or 5´ overhangs. Note: 3´ overhangs cannot be filled in.
  1. DNABluntingVideo_thumb

    DNA Blunting Tutorial

    The first step in determining how your ends will be blunted is to determine if they are 5´ or 3´ overhangs. This tutorial will teach you how to identify what type of overhang you have, as well as which enzyme will blunt that end, and how.