When isolating nucleic acids from cells, the first step is to disrupt the cell membrane to release the DNA. This is often done using chaotropic salts, alkaline denaturation, or detergents. Next, the soluble components of the cell lysate must be separated from the cellular debris and other insoluble materials. Centrifugation and vacuum filtration are frequently used to accomplish this separation, but magnetic clearing has gained wide acceptance more recently. Lastly, the nucleic acids must be separated from the other soluble materials in the lysate, including proteins.
Once the DNA is in solution, regardless of whether it originated from cells or from an enzymatic reaction, there are many different methods that can be employed to isolate it from other soluble components.
FAQs for Nucleic Acid Purification
- I have used 5 ml of cell culture for plasmid isolation with the Monarch Plasmid Miniprep kit and I am obtaining low amounts of plasmid and/or contaminating gDNA. Why is this, and what are your suggestions to improve yield and purity?
- Are plasmids recovered using the Monarch Plasmid Miniprep Kit endotoxin free?
- Can I use the Monarch DNA & PCR Cleanup Kit to purify oligonucleotides and other short DNA fragments?
Protocols for Nucleic Acid Purification
- Monarch® PCR & DNA Cleanup Kit (5 μg) Protocol (NEB #T1030)
- Monarch® Plasmid DNA Miniprep Kit Protocol (NEB #T1010)
- Monarch® DNA Gel Extraction Kit Protocol (NEB #T1020)
- Oligonucleotide Cleanup Using Monarch® PCR & DNA Cleanup Kit (5 μg) Protocol (NEB #T1030)
- Quick Protocol for Monarch® DNA Gel Extraction Kit (NEB #T1020)
- Quick Protocol for Monarch® Plasmid Miniprep Kit (NEB #T1010)
- Quick Protocol for Oligonucleotide Cleanup Using the Monarch® PCR & DNA Cleanup Kit (5 μg) (NEB #T1030)
- Quick Protocol for Monarch® PCR & DNA Cleanup Kit (5 μg) (NEB #T1030)
Monarch Nucleic Acid Purification Brochure
It's time to transform your DNA purification experience! Learn about the advantages of choosing Monarch Nucleic Acid Purification Kits from NEB.
- Five Steps to a Greener Lab: A roadmap to environmental action
- Troubleshooting Guide for DNA Purification
- Dos and Don'ts of Plasmid Minipreps
- Six Tips for a Perfect Gel Extraction
Other Tools & Resources
While NEB develops and validates its products for various applications, the use of this product may require the buyer to obtain additional third party intellectual property rights for certain applications.
For more information about commercial rights, please contact NEB's Global Business Development team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This product is intended for research purposes only. This product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.
Learn how to do a plasmid miniprep using the Monarch Plasmid Miniprep Kit.
Learn how to extract DNA from agarose gels using the Monarch DNA Gel Extraction Kit.
Learn how to isolate DNA from your enzymatic reactions, including PCR, using the Monarch PCR & DNA Cleanup Kit (5 µg).
Optimize your plasmid miniprep results with these quick tips for using the Monarch Plasmid Miniprep Kit.
Optimize your DNA gel extractions with our quick tips for using the Monarch DNA Gel Extraction Kit.
Optimize your DNA isolation from PCR and other enzymatic reactions with our quick tips for using the Monarch PCR & DNA Cleanup Kit.
Learn how you can easily recycle all of the components in your Monarch Kits.