The BioBrick® Assembly method is part of the BioBrick synthetic biology approach, in which a bioengineering focus has been applied to building novel biological systems. In this approach, DNA fragments encoding proteins, promoters, ribosome binding sites, etc., have been standardized and are contained in a "parts" registry of plasmids with identical restriction sites flanking the "payload" of the part. By employing standardized flanking sites that are not contained within the coding sequence of the part, they can be ligated in any order to create a novel "device". By choosing restriction sites with compatible ends that destroy the recognition site when ligated to one another, parts can be combined together and the original flanking sites re-used for the next round of assembly. Despite the limitations of introducing a sequence scar for every ligation event and the multiple rounds of assembly required to fabricate a device, a wide assortment of exciting systems have been designed and built.
Protocols for BioBrick® Assembly
- Digestion Protocol for BioBrick Assembly Kit (E0546)
- Double Digest Protocol with Standard Restriction Enzymes
- Ligation Protocol using BioBrick Assembly Kit® (E0546)
- Ligation Protocol with T4 DNA Ligase (M0202)
- Optimizing Restriction Endonuclease Reactions
- Protocol for Digestion Prior to droplet digital PCR (ddPCR)
- Protocol for Direct Digestion of gDNA during droplet digital PCR (ddPCR)
Molecular Cloning Technical Guide
The Molecular Cloning Technical Guide helps with product selection, protocols, tips for optimization and trouble-shooting.
Reagents and Tools for Molecular Cloning
Learn about recommended products for cloning in our Reagents and Tools for Molecular Cloning Brochure.
- Restriction Endonucleases: Molecular Cloning and Beyond
- Troubleshooting Guide for Cloning
Other Tools & Resources
While NEB develops and validates its products for various applications, the use of this product may require the buyer to obtain additional third party intellectual property rights for certain applications.
For more information about commercial rights, please contact NEB's Global Business Development team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This product is intended for research purposes only. This product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.