New England Biolabs, Inc. (NEB) stands with those who are passionate about shining a harsh light on injustice and building a more equitable society. Deep-rooted racial inequities and systemic discrimination against the Black community must be acknowledged by all of us. Black lives matter, and we have a moral obligation to embrace this fundamental truth and bridge the divide to help make the world a better place. Furthermore, we recognize that Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) and other marginalized groups experience discrimination and inequities in ways that are egregious and painfully routine in the life science industry and STEM disciplines.
NEB is committed to continually assess its role in advancing racial justice and equity within our company, the life sciences industry and our broader community. We are guided by the core values of passion, humility, and being genuine. We strive to have a diverse culture that encourages open communication and inclusive behaviors which affords everyone at NEB an opportunity to have a voice into how we address these complex issues. With this in mind, we have formed a diverse, employee-driven team to develop and manage a detailed and accountable plan to put our passion into practice.
In the spirit of humility, we recognize that there are areas where we need to grow and are taking the steps to become enlightened and raise our level of consciousness to injustices that have been overlooked and underestimated. Specifically, we are committed to:
- Challenge ourselves to have sincere, frank and respectful conversations on prejudice, discrimination and inclusion.
- Improve equity, diversity and inclusion in our own workplace across all races, ethnicities, origins, identities, abilities and classes.
- Extend and improve our K-12 STEM education outreach programs to underrepresented and underfunded communities.
- Focus more financial resources to organizations that pursue racial justice, social justice and environmental justice.
- Directly participate by collaborating with organizations that seek to eliminate the barriers that prevent equal access to opportunity and resources.
- Evaluate existing corporate governance to assess fairness practices within our policies, methods and procedures.
Although words will serve as our inspiration, actions will be the true measure of how much of a difference we make. These actions must be clear, measurable and genuine. We look forward to your continued support as we work towards a more just world.