- Monarch DNA/RNA Protection Reagent preserves nucleic acid integrity and effectively lyses cells. RNA is isolated without removing the reagent.
- Please note that the Monarch DNA/RNA Protection Reagent (NEB #T2011) is supplied as a 2X solution. For blood samples, the 2X solution will be used, but for other samples, a 1X solution is required, and can be prepared by dilution with nuclease-free water.
- For processing samples stored in DNA/RNA Protection Reagent, allow samples to equilibrate to room temperature. Ensure the volume of Protection Reagent is consistent with protocol recommendations (adjust as needed).
- For processing cultured mammalian cells stored in DNA/RNA Protection Reagent, allow samples to equilibrate to room temperature and add an equal volume of RNA Lysis Buffer.
- Cells, tissues, and other solid samples: Submerge sample in 1X DNA/RNA Protection Reagent with the sample comprising no more than 10% of the final volume. A 1X solution is prepared by diluting the 2X concentrate with nuclease-free water.
- Blood and other liquid samples: Mix with an equal volume of the 2X DNA/RNA Protection Reagent concentrate.
Sample Homogenization Prior to Storage:
For cells, blood, and small tissues (less than 20 mg), simply mixing sample with Protection Reagent is sufficient for subsequent storage.
- For larger tissue pieces(greater than 20 mg), samples should be homogenized in DNA/RNA Protection Reagent prior to storage.
long-term (>30 days) at -20°C or -80°C
- medium-term (1-4 weeks) at 4°C
- short-term (<7 days) at room temperature.