NEB offers chemically competent Kluyveromyces lactis GG779 cells suitable for transformation with a linearized pKLAC-series expression vector. We also provide variants of this strain tailored for specific protein expression needs. For example, chemically competent Kluyveromyces lactis YCT284 (∆cts1) cells are a preferred host for secreting heterologous proteins carrying a chitin-binding domain tag, and can be transformed with any linearized pKLAC-series expression vector.
Proteolysis of secreted heterologous proteins in K. lactis can be an issue in some applications and is most often caused by aspartyl proteases that are present in the secretory pathway. In many cases, a single aspartyl protease causes the majority of the detrimental protein degradation. The Protease Deficient Competent Cell Sampler contains a wild-type GG799 strain, as well as four protease deficient K. lactis strains, each having selectable marker-free deletion of a specific secretory pathway aspartyl protease gene. Each strain can be transformed with any linearized pKLAC-series expression vector, permitting a comparison of heterologous protein quality and yield in each background.
FAQs for Yeast Expression Strains
- What is the parent background for the protease deletion strains?
- Why does NEB offer K. lactis protease deletion strains?
- What vectors may be used with protease deletion strains?
- Which protease deletion strain should i use?
- What K. lactis protease deletion strains does NEB sell?
- What formats are competent cells available in?
- What are the advantages of New England Biolabs' competent cells?
- Which kind of transformation tubes should be used?
- What volume of DNA can be added into competent cells?
- Can I store competent cells at -20°C instead of -80°C?
Protocols for Yeast Expression Strains
- Co-expression of Multiple Proteins in Kluyveromyces lactis
Competent Cells Brochure
The Competent Cells brochure provides information on the different competent cell strains for cloning and protein expression available from NEB.
Protein Expression & Purification Brochure
The Protein Expression and Purification brochure provides information on the advanced tools for protein expression and purification offered by NEB.
Competent Cell Selection Guide
- Strain Properties
- Genetic Markers
Other Tools & Resources
While NEB develops and validates its products for various applications, the use of this product may require the buyer to obtain additional third party intellectual property rights for certain applications.
For more information about commercial rights, please contact NEB's Global Business Development team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This product is intended for research purposes only. This product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.