In vitro synthesis of single-stranded RNA molecules is a widely used laboratory procedure that is critical to RNA research, as well as to RNA biopharmaceuticals. This technique is versatile in that it allows the researcher to tailor synthesis and introduce modifications to produce a transcript. Downstream applications include biochemical and molecular characterization of RNA for RNA-protein interactions and structural analyses, generation of RNA aptamers, synthesis of functional mRNAs for expression, and generation of small RNAs for alteration of gene expression (e.g., guide RNAs, RNAi). Furthermore, the use of in vitro synthesized RNA has been instrumental in the development of RNA vaccines and CRISPR/Cas9 genome editing tools, generation of pluripotent stem cells, as well as development of RNA amplification-based diagnostics.
High-yield robust IVT reactions require optimization of each reaction component. NEB offers six in vitro RNA synthesis kits, all of which have been optimized to generate reproducible yields of quality RNA. In addition, individual components can also be purchased for IVT and mRNA capping.
- Rio, D. C., et al. RNA: A Laboratory Manual. Cold Spring Harbor: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, 2011, 205-220.
- Cooper, Geoffery M. The Cell: A Molecular Approach. 4th ed. Washington D.C.: ASM Press, 2007. 262-299.
- Jani B, Fuchs R. J Vis Exp. 2012 Mar 26 (61). PMID: 22473375
- Capped RNA Synthesis (E2040)
- Capping Protocol (M2080)
- DNA Template Preparation (E2040)
- Evaluation of Reaction Products (E2040)
- High Specific Activity Radiolabeled RNA Probe Synthesis (E2040)
- Purification of Synthesized RNA (E2040)
- RNA Synthesis with Modified Nucleotides (E2040)
- SP6 In Vitro Transcription Reaction Protocol (M0207)
- Standard RNA Synthesis (E2040)
- Protocol for Dephosphorylation of 5´-ends of DNA using Antarctic Phosphatase (NEB #M0289)
- Capped RNA Synthesis (E2050)
- Evaluation of Reaction Products (E2050)
- Purification of Synthesized RNA (E2050)
- RNA Synthesis with Modified Nucleotides (E2050)
- Standard RNA Synthesis (E2050)
- Protocol for Avoiding Rnase Contamination using Murine Rnase Inhibitor (M0314)
- Protocol for Avoiding Rnase Contamination using Rnase Inhibitor, Human Placenta (M0307)
- Poly(A) Tailing of RNA using E. coli Poly(A) Polymerase (NEB# M0276)
- Evaluation of Reaction Products (E2060)
- mRNA Purification (E2060)
- mRNA Purification (E2065)
- mRNA Synthesis with Modified Nucleotides (E2060)
- mRNA Synthesis with Modified Nucleotides (E2065)
- Standard mRNA Synthesis (E2060)
- Standard mRNA Synthesis (E2065)
- Evaluation of Reaction Products (E2065)
- sgRNA Synthesis Using the HiScribe™ Quick T7 High Yield RNA Synthesis Kit (NEB #E2050)
- EnGen® sgRNA Synthesis Kit, S. pyogenes Protocol (E3322)
- Purification of Synthesized RNA (E2070)
- RNA Synthesis Protocols (E2070)
- Protocol for Co-transcriptional capping using CleanCap® Reagent AG from TriLink and HiScribe™ T7 High Yield RNA Synthesis Kit from New England Biolabs®
- Standard RNA Synthesis Protocol using the HiScribe T7 mRNA Kit with CleanCap Reagent AG (NEB #E2080)
- mRNA Synthesis Protocol with Modified Nucleotides using the HiScribe T7 mRNA Kit with CleanCap Reagent AG (NEB #E2080)
- Wu, M.Z., Asahara, H., Tzertzinis, G., Roy, B. (2020) Synthesis of low immunogenicity RNA with high-temperature in vitro transcription RNA; PubMedID: 31900329
- Eyler, D.E., Franco, M.K., Batool, Z., Wu, M.Z., Dubuke, M.L., Dobosz-Bartoszek, M., Jones, J.D., Polikanov, Y.S., Roy, B., Koutmou, K.S (2019) Pseudouridinylatio of mRNA coding sequences alters translation Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A; 116(46), 23068-23074.. PubMedID: 31672910, DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1821754116
- Potapov, V., Fu, X., Dai, N., Correa, I.R., Jr., Tanner, N.A., Ong, J.L (2018) Base modificatons affecting RNA polymerase and reverse transcriptase fidelity Nucleic Acids Res; 46(11): 5753-5763, PubMedID: 29750267
Products and content are covered by one or more patents, trademarks and/or copyrights owned or controlled by New England Biolabs, Inc (NEB). The use of trademark symbols does not necessarily indicate that the name is trademarked in the country where it is being read; it indicates where the content was originally developed. The use of this product may require the buyer to obtain additional third-party intellectual property rights for certain applications. For more information, please email email@example.com.
This product is intended for research purposes only. This product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.
This method describes high yield in vitro synthesis of both capped and uncapped mRNA from a linearized plasmid containing the Gaussia luciferase (GLuc) gene.