Many promoter systems have been developed where target gene transcription relies on the endogenous E. coli RNA polymerase. For example, IPTG-inducible promoters include the wt-lac promoter and the tac and trc promoters are lac derivatives with greater induction potential. The phage T5 promoter is also recognized by E. coli RNA polymerase: vectors employing the T5-lacO promoter include a lac operator site for expression control by the lac repressor. T5-lacO vectors typically do not encode the lacI repressor gene and therefore the expression host must supply the lac repressor. NEB Express Iq was designed specifically for IPTG-inducible vector systems where the lacI gene is not encoded by the vector.
The NEB Express strain is a multiple purpose expression strain capable of robust expression from lac, tac, trc, arabinose-inducible and rhamnose-inducible promoters. Importantly, NEB Express is recommended as the host for any pMAL vector designed for MBP-fusion protein expression
Avoid Common Obstacles in Protein Expression
Read how to avoid common obstacles in protein expression that prevent interactions with cellular machinery.
- Competent Cell Brochure
- Protein Expression & Purification Brochure
- DNA Sequences and Maps Tool
- Competent Cell Product Comparison
- Competent Cell Selection Guide
- Agrawal, A., Bisharyan, Y., Papoyan, A, Bednenko, J., Cardarelli, J., Yao, M., Clark, T., Berkmen, M., Ke, N., Colussi, P. (2019) Fusion to Tetrahymena thermophila granule lattice protein 1 confers solubility to sexual stage malaria antigens in Escherichia coli. Protein Expr Purif; 153, 7-17. PubMedID: 30081196, DOI: 10.1016/j.pep.2018.08.001.
- Manta, Bruno; Berkmen, Mehmet; (2019) Disulfide Bond Formation in the Periplasm of Escherichia coli. EcoSal Plus; PubMedID: 30761987, DOI: 10.1128/ecosalplus.ESP-0012-2018.
- Ke, Na; Berkmen, Mehmet; Ren, Guoping; (2017) A water-soluble DsbB variant that catalyzes disulfide-bond formation in vivo Nat Chem Biol; 13, 1022-1028. PubMedID: 28628094, DOI: 10.1038/nchembio.2409
- Hemmis, C.W., Berkmen, M., Eser, M.and Schildbach, J.F. (2011) TrbB from conjugative plasmid F is a structurally distinct disulfide isomerase that requires DsbD for redox state maintenance. J Bacteriol; 193(18), 4588-97. PubMedID: 21742866, DOI: 10.1128/JB.00351-11
- Shouldice, S.R., Cho, S.H., Boyd, D., Heras, B., Eser, M., Beckwith, J., Riggs, P., Martin, J.L.and Berkmen, M. (2010) In vivo oxidative protein folding can be facilitated by oxidation-reduction cycling. Mol Microbiol; 75(1), 13-28. PubMedID: 19968787
Products and content are covered by one or more patents, trademarks and/or copyrights owned or controlled by New England Biolabs, Inc (NEB). The use of trademark symbols does not necessarily indicate that the name is trademarked in the country where it is being read; it indicates where the content was originally developed. The use of this product may require the buyer to obtain additional third-party intellectual property rights for certain applications. For more information, please email email@example.com.
This product is intended for research purposes only. This product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.