There are many choices when selecting a method for expressing a recombinant protein. In general, common expression systems used in life sciences research are microbial (bacteria or yeast), higher eukaryotic (insect or mammalian cells) or cell-free (in vitro protein expression). Because of their speed, low cost, and ability to be easily genetically modified, microbes are often a first choice for in vivo expression of a target protein. For expression in bacteria, E. coli has been the most widely utilized used host for almost 25 years. Similarly, expression in various yeasts has been common since the mid-1980’s. Finally, production of proteins in vitro in cell-free systems is often used in situations where a target protein is toxic to a host or introduction of non-native amino acids into the protein’s structure is desired.
The Next Generation of Reagents for Sample Preparation
Why Choose the K. lactis Protein Expression Kit?
Review the advantages of the K. lactis Protein Expression Kit for rapid, high yield protein expression in yeast.
Avoid Common Obstacles in Protein Expression
Read how to avoid common obstacles in protein expression that prevent interactions with cellular machinery.
- Competent Cell Brochure
- Protein Expression & Purification Brochure
- DNA Sequences and Maps Tool
- Competent Cell Product Comparison
- IMPACT™ Vectors and Applications
- Protein Expression and Purification Selection Chart
- Convenient Formats of Competent Cells
- Sakhtah, H., Behler, J., Ali-Reynolds, A., Causey, T.B., Vainauskas, S., Taron, C.H. 2019. A novel regulated hybrid promoter that permits autoinduction of heterologous protein expression in Kluyveromyces lactos Appl. Environ. Microbiol.. , PubMedID: 31053583, DOI:
- Chuzel, L., Ganatra, M.B., Schermerhorn, K.M., Gardner, A.F., Anton, B.P., Taron, C.H. 2017. Complete genome sequence of Kluyveromyces lactis strain GG799, a common yeast host for heterologous protein expression Genome Announcements. 5(30), PubMedID: 28751387, DOI:
While NEB develops and validates its products for various applications, the use of this product may require the buyer to obtain additional third party intellectual property rights for certain applications.
For more information about commercial rights, please contact NEB's Global Business Development team at [email protected].
This product is intended for research purposes only. This product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.
NEB has a long history in recombinant protein expression and has developed a wide array of solutions for proteins that are difficult to express.