Epigenetics is the study of heritable changes in gene expression that are not encoded in the DNA of the genome. Encouraging evidence has linked epigenetic effects to oncogenesis, progression and treatment of cancer (1), the regulation of development and function of the nervous system (2), gene regulation (3), cellular stress events (3), nutrigenomics (4), aging and DNA repair (5). Considerable ongoing efforts are directed towards identifying the dynamic functions of various modifications to DNA and its associated proteins and elucidating their mechanisms.
- Baylin, S. and Jones, P. (2011) Nature Rev Cancer (10), 726-734. PMID: 21941284
- Riccio, A., (2010) Nature Neuroscience, 13, 1330-1337. PMID: 20975757
- Huang, J. et al. (2006) Nature, 444, 629-632. PMID: 17108971
- Park, L.K., Friso, S. and Choi, S.W. (2011) Proc. Nutr. Soc. Nov 4, 1-9.
- Pahlich, S., Zakaryan, R.P. and Gehring., H. (2006) Biochim, Biophys. Acta. 1764, 1890-1903. PMID: 17010682
Enzymatic Methyl-seq: The Next Generation of Methylome Analysis
Epigenetics - Expanding on Genomic Foundations
- Epigenetics Brochure
- EM-seq™ Enables Accurate and Precise Methylome Analysis of Challenging DNA Samples (2019)
- EM-seq™ enables accurate and robust methylation detection of cell free DNA and FFPE DNA sample types
- Enzymatic Methyl-seq: Next Generation Methylomes (2019)
- NicE-seq: High Resolution Open Chromatin Profiling (2018)
- Uncovering the Cannabis sativa Methylome Through Enzymatic Methyl-seq (2019)
- Woodcock, C.B.l, Yu, D., Hajian, T., Li, J., Huang, Y., Dai, N., Corrêa, I.R., Jr., Wu, T., Vedadi, M., Zhang, X., Cheng, X 2019. Human MettL3 MettL14 complex is a sequence specific DNA adenine methyltransferase active on single strand and unpaired DNA in vitro Cell Discov. 5:63, PubMedID: 31885874, DOI: 10.1038/s41421-019-0136-4
- Marx V. 2016. Genetics: profiling DNA methylation and beyond Nature Methods. 13, PubMedID: , DOI: 10.1038/nmeth.3736
- Mooijman D, Dey S S, Boisset JC, Crosetto N, van Oudenaarden A 2016. Single-cell 5hmC sequencing reveals chromosome-wide cell-to-cell variability and enables lineage reconstruction Nature Biotechnology. 34, PubMedID: 27347753, DOI: 10.1038/nbt.3598
- Chernov AV., Reyes L., Peterson S., Strongin AY. 2015. Depletion of CG-Specific Methylation in Mycoplasma hyorhinis Genomic DNA after Host Cell Invasion PLoS One. 10, PubMedID: 26544880, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0142529
- Kienhöfer S., Musheev M., Stapf U., Helm M., Schomacher L., Niehrs C., Schäfer A. 2015. GADD45a physically and functionally interacts with TET1Publication Differentiation. , PubMedID: 26546041, DOI: 10.1016/j.diff.2015.10.003
- Page A., Paoli P., Salvador E., White S., French J., Mann J. 2015. Hepatic Stellate Cell Transdifferentiation Involves Genome-Wide Remodeling of the DNA Methylation Landscape J Hepatol. , PubMedID: 26632634, DOI: 10.1016/j.jhep.2015.11.024
- Wee E., Ngo T., Trau M. 2015. A simple bridging flocculation assay for rapid, sensitive and stringent detection of gene specific DNA methylation Sci Rep. 5, PubMedID: 26458746, DOI: 10.1038/srep15028
- Estève P., Zhang G., Ponnaluri V., Kanneganti 2015. Binding of 14-3-3 reader proteins to phosphorylated DNMT1 facilitates Nucleic Acids Res. , PubMedID: 26553800, DOI: 10.1093/nar/gkv1162
- Chandra S, Baribault C, Lacey M, Ehrlich M 2014. Myogenic differential methylation: diverse associations with chromatin structure Biology (Basel). 3(2), PubMedID: 24949935, DOI: 10.3390/biology3020426
- Hughes J.R., Roberts N., McGowan S., Hay D., Giannoulatou E., Lynch M., De Gobbi M., Taylor S., Gibbons R., Higgs D.R. 2014. Analysis of hundreds of cis-regulatory landscapes at high resolution in a single, high-throughput experiment Nat Genet. 46 (2), PubMedID: 24413732, DOI: doi:10.1038/ng.2871
- Sexton T, Kurukuti S, Mitchell JA, Umlauf D, Nagano T, Fraser P 2012. Sensitive detection of chromatin coassociations using enhanced chromosome conformation capture on chip Nat Protoc. 7(7), PubMedID: 22722369, DOI: 10.1038/nprot.2012.071
- Wolff, E.M. et al. 2011. Hypomethylation of a LINE-1 Promoter Activates an Alternate Transcript of the MET Oncogene in Bladders with Cancer PLoS Genet. . 6, PubMedID: 20421991, DOI:
- Lieberman-Aiden E., van Berkum N., Williams L., Imakaev M., Ragoczy T., Telling A., Amit I., Lajoie B., Sabo P., Dorschner M., Sandstrom R., Bernstein B., BenderM. A., Groudine M., Gnirke A., Stamatoyannopoulos J., Mirny L., Lander E., Dekker J. 2009. Comprehensive mapping of long range interactions reveals folding principles of the human genome Science. Oct 9; 326(5950) , PubMedID: , DOI:
This product is covered by one or more patents, trademarks and/or copyrights owned or controlled by New England Biolabs, Inc (NEB).
While NEB develops and validates its products for various applications, the use of this product may require the buyer to obtain additional third party intellectual property rights for certain applications.
For more information about commercial rights, please contact NEB's Global Business Development team at [email protected].
This product is intended for research purposes only. This product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.
If all cells are created from the same genetic material, why are there so many different cell types? Listen to Sriharsa Pradhan, Senior Scientist, RNA Biology at NEB, as he describes how DNA is methylated and how this affects the path of reading the DNA code the same way an obstruction would derail a train off its tracks.
Watch an interactive tutorial explaining the different molecular mechanisms by which epigenetic change influences gene expression. Learn about how NEB’s reagents are targeted to the various enzymes and DNA elements that are altered by epigenetic change.
Chromatin conformation capture (3C) techniques allow study of the spatial organization of eukaryotic chromosomes in a 3D context.